Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Homemade Ramen


I admit it, ramen is not the healthiest of meals, but it is one of my guilty pleasures. This recipe actually comes from me, and believe it or not, it was as good as any ramen I've had at Korean or Japanese restaurants!!


Here are the ingredients I used:
- Packet of dried ramen noodles (I used Shin Ramyun - shrimp flavour)
- Choice of ground meat (I used porc, veal, and beef)
- 1 egg
- Bean sprouts
- 1 clove of garlic
- Small piece of ginger
- 1 green onion
- Sriracha (at taste)
- Chilli garlic sauce (at taste)
- Soy sauce (2-3 tbsp)
- 1 tbsp Sesame oil
- Canola (or vegetable) oil
- Salt & pepper

I tried to use ingredients that were already in my kitchen, and it worked out great. Some of these ingredients should be used at your preferred taste, such as the sriracha and the chilli garlic sauce. These will depend on how much your taste buds love spicy and garlicky foods.


The first step was to toss the bean sprouts in a lightly canola oiled pan for a couple of minutes. Then I put these aside to get on with the meats.


Time to cook them meats. Originally I was going to get pork only, but my grocery store was out of pork and only had a pork-beef-veal variety pack, so I said "why not?". Prior to putting it in the pan, I combined my crushed garlic, finely cut ginger and the white part of the green onion with a tsp of canola oil. 


Once I added the meats, I also added my soy sauce, sesame sauce, sriracha and chilli garlic sauce. Then I let my meats cook completely and crushed some salt and pepper as a finishing touch. I am not lying when I say I could have eaten this mix all by itself, that's how good it was!

In the meantime, I cooked my egg in boiling water for about 7 minutes so that the white would be entirely cooked, but the yolk would still be in a somewhat liquid form. I immediately put it into ice water to let it cool completely.


It's time for the most important part, the ramen. I made the ramen using the instructions on the package, simple right? 

Obviously using dried noodles does make the ramen lose some of that authenticity, but this step saves so much cooking time. With all the other contrasting flavours in the mix, you don't even realize the dried noodles.


Now all the ingredients are all ready, its time for the layering, which I find is a big part of ramen. It's all about presentation right? But if its too much effort, just mix it all up, because that's how ramen is the best, when all the flavours are contrasted together.


If you try this recipe, it's up to you how you want to personalize it. Had I had seaweed at home I would have sprinkled some on top. Change the meat or add vegetables, its all up to you, but most importantly: ENJOY!!!!


Tags

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.